DEAR KANPUR

 Dear Kanpur,

 

I hadn't travelled for three years when I came here. Even though I spent a month there, I have learned many things. I boarded my train on December 16th, and it was a 6-hour journey where I thought of every possible reason for what I would do when I was there, even though I was going to live with my family. The thought stuck in my head for the entire journey. As the train was moving faster, my thoughts of what I would do were getting closer. I looked out of the window, watching the sunset and fields of mustard. While the sun was setting in the west. On the east, the sun is taking his light from the mustard fields as if he is not in the mood to give it to them at all. As the sun shows the end of the day and the passage of time. The thought came to mind again: how many people in this world are now travelling through eyes, ears, and maybe virtually? How many loved ones are far from their family to make a living? How has this pandemic changed a lot in one year?

As I saw around, an old man is reading this book, which is quite interesting because I have never seen an old man reading a book and being a bibliophile away from the world of books and words. Just then I wrote a poem about a railway station. Because that is how railway stations are: people rushing, stumbling upon things, and getting their tickets done. After 6 hours of the journey, I stepped out of the train and again thought, "What will I do? I reached out as a surprise to my family because my uncle didn't tell them that I would be there. As soon as I reached home, my cousin didn't recognise me as I was standing beside bikes that were in a line. Everyone was surprised when I walked in; that moment is of ultimate bliss when you see your family after a year or two.


There were roads, traffic, and people. Everything and everyone is different and a surprise. The way you look at things is different. The way they look at you is different. As we go out day by day, start analysing cities, monuments, and temples. I haven’t travelled for 3 years because of work and other things. But I guess I have to say that you were beautiful and always will be. But beautiful is underrated, and you are more than that.

There is a park I visited. I couldn’t get the name, but that park and the children made me realise how much I miss being a kid and how easy it is to be one. As we grew up and time flew by, we never knew when the last time we saw those friends we played with on the streets, running, laughing, and wounded. But that’s why being a child amuses us: no matter how much we wound ourselves, we keep running back to those streets where we played and stumbled upon, irrespective of today’s situations.


I have always been a dog lover and always will be. I guess that’s one of the other things that keeps me going: being an animal lover. So, there is this dog, "Rambo," as I used to call him, and whenever he is up to his happiness, I never knew I loved dogs that much until I met Rambo. And calling him every morning and evening became a ritual to see him. We used to tie a biscuit on a rope and smuggle it underground. And every day at 4 p.m., he waits for us to call him and give him biscuits. He used to wait and sit on the balcony, and when I didn’t call him, he looked up automatically. It’s kind of funny that something still awakens a child in us, and we behave like one no matter what others think of it. We should keep that child alive.

When I got out and explored, seeing people with different perspectives, actions, and lifestyles was always the one that fascinated me in many ways or surprised me in many ways. But I've got to say there is always something common, and I think it is kindness. We see people more than they see us. I think this is how it works: we don’t see others until they want us to see them differently. So, I watched, explored, observed, and did many things. I don’t know what will be my next stop or where I will go, but I will never forget how you gave me so much to learn and grow. How you taught me that being yourself is the best thing one can do You can’t change yourself; if you don't, you will never know what it looks like to be different.

 

 Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

 

Comments

  1. Rabbit par mere street dogs to biscuits mein interest hi ni lets tu konse biscuit deti thi ?

    Next stop mussoorie chalo jaa mere frnds gaye the but acha hai esa bola

    Ya Rajasthan bhi jaa santi hai par aab to garmi ka mausam aa gaya

    Vese travel se travel mast bada hota hai UJJAIN gaya tha to rase mein bait different personality ke log mile

    Agra gayi hai ?
    Vese mai soach raha hu mai chale jau
    Kher able maheni to amritsar aur vaishno devi jaa raha hu

    Aur tu kanpur pehle bhi gayi hai ???


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank You for investing your time. Please Share.

Popular Posts